Thursday, May 25, 2006

What happened to Rock N Fuckin Roll???

Well... let's see what brings on my current rant? Could it be I'm somewhat disgusted by the lack of facts used in VH1's story of "Heavy Metal" or the corporate concert ticket? Man, I get the feeling this going to be one long fuckin rant.

First off, I must throw out a chuckle to VH1. While I must toss out a speck of respect for the fact they dedicated May to genre of metal, once again, a channel has shown how to take a great idea and fuck it up throughly.

Towards the end of our beautiful month that segues into summer, VH1 has taken it upon themselves to focus on the music genre I love most, and grew up on: metal. VH1 put together a 4 hour special that attempted to focus on how metal started and where it is today. A whopping 4 hours??? My god, you could put together a 4 hour special focusing on metal in just 1984. Of course, the special was all about that Black Sabbath invented the genre and influenced any dark metal group that followed and how Led Zepplin influenced all the pretty boy rock bands that came out after they did. 'Scuse me while I wretch.

While I cannot deny that those bands were MASSIVE influeneces on any rock bands that followed, I must take exception with VH1's piss-poor presentation. If I remember correctly, I recall a ton of bands making mention of The Who, The Rolling Stones, and of course, The Beatles. Apparently, VH1 is not aware of these groups or their influence on music which can still be heard today.

During the VH1 presentation, I had to laugh my ass off. They got dates wrong, songs wrong, and never represented the market they are catering to... THE FANS. Fans make any genre. If there were not 5 million people out there willing to buy anything Eminem shit on, the boy would not have a contract, much less a roll to wipe his ass with. Growing up in the 80's with a major jones for all things rock of the time had me giggling like a school girl when I saw VH1's choices for their presentation.

If you were a teen in the 80's and into rock, check it out for a laugh. If not, you won't get it so move on... which is what I'm about to do.

Let's move on to my current boycott of concerts. Mind you, I am not speaking of fantastic shows I can catch at my local venues where I can actually hit up a website or ticket office and buy a normal ticket, provided there are some still available. I am talking about these corporate bullshit tickets where I am required to have memebership with a particular credit card company, a local gym, or be registered with my local rock station... just so I can get some stupid, secret, private password that the creators would have you think is godspeak... even though any idiot with online access can get within seconds.

What happened to the days where you stood in line if you wanted a ticket... and if you wanted to get the best ticket, you brought a sleeping bag and had your ass out there at 2am the night before to ensure you were first in line??? Granted, we are in the internet generation and tickets can be found quite easily and quickly over the net if you can type and "refresh" fast enough. I'm absolutely ok with that. I even support the folks that pay a monthly or annual charge to a fanclucb for the right to purchase tickets before anyone else. If you love the group THAT MUCH, by all means... you go! But what about those folks who don't need a fanclub membership, but would rather enjoy a great show?

Recently, I got an email informing me Journey and Def Leppard were going to be playing soon... and tickets go on sale "this Sunday". At least, for the little people. If you have a membership with Amex, "we'll give you a pre-sale password that allows you to purchase tickets on Thursday prior to the general public sale". If you have a membership with your local rock station, "we can send your pre-sale password for a pre-public sale on Friday". You know what??? FUCK YOU! I don't need to spend $50 or $60, or $ 75, or even $250 for the premium package that guarantees me a spot in the first 10 rows, nor do I need some fucking password that lets me get a ticket before the little people. How about I get in line with everyone else on the same day and take my chances? Why do I need to be a member of anything other than a fucking fanclub to get a decent seat? Is it a case of have and have-nots? I think so!

In the current day, it seems as if promoters or artists or tickets brokers expect you to give up your first born for a floor ticket. You know what? I have alcohol at home, a 50" plasma hi-def tv, and a DVD player with a 5.1 surround sound system. If the artist is THAT great, they will release a DVD (which they always seem to do) of the show that I can RENT, make a copy of, and you can kiss my non-ticket buying ass.

And will someone please send me an email explaining (in detail) what the hell a ticketmaster "convenience fee" covers, or is for? I'm dying to know since it has gone from $1.50 in 1986 to $18.50 in 2006. That's about what... 5 times the inflation rate?

Thank you for your support... NOW... go see a local show... where everyone has the same chance to get a ticket.

5 comments:

James said...

And let's not even BEGIN to talk about concert ticket prices these days... Madonna at the HP Pavilion: $350?!

Edgar Allen said...

AJ I hear ya man. I was there when it all happened in the early 90's. I was then, and am now a person who is extraordinarily passionate about music. I myself am a guitar player and make my living teaching and once in a while recording.

So I've had my finger directly on the pulse of musical trends for years and years.

I agree with your rant all the way with a few very technical exceptions. Here's one of them:

"If I remember correctly, I recall a ton of bands making mention of The Who, The Rolling Stones, and of course, The Beatles. Apparently, VH1 is not aware of these groups or their influence on music which can still be heard today."

I see where vh1 is going with their presentation in this one regard. While I agree with you that I too remember the stones and beatles etc getting plenty of credit, it was sabbath and zeppelin that ushered in a truly modern sound, and sometimes darker sound.

Yes it's true that the beatles took it a step further and that the stones had a harder edge than the beatles. But when you think of Iron Man and Immigrant Song (zeppelin of course) that came out in 1970, I'm sure you would agree with me that those two songs form a stark outline between 60's rock and the modern metal era.

Of course by extension the early albums of zep and sabbath are where you end up when you trace back the metal lineage.

But, yeah vh1 had a pretty lame presentation. Nothing really insightful. Nothing that any of us back in the day, cruising with our buds, smoking our buds didn't think of and talk about.

Funny thing to note, and you probably know this, but Sabbath was influenced in a major way by the beatles.

Stu said...

Very Insightful!

Stu

Http:www.thisdayinrock.com

Joseph said...

Rock on brother

John Felton said...

It truly disgusts me to see what has happened. It used to be affordable for ANYONE to buy tickets for a Rock concert. But, like all the major league sports, they have now out priced the little guy, who now has to spend his/her retirement to purchase a ticket to see any Rock band worth seeing.

Of coarse, the artists will blame peer to peer sharing for this, because they aren't making the money they used to for recording sales. So now they want more money per ticket. Well so now do the people who promote and sell the tickets! What a load of crap! I say give your music away for free,because you'll make money with tickets and merchandise anyway! And a shit load of it to boot if you drop your prices on that stuff too! The lower the prices, the more people will buy! Figure it out geniuses! This isn't rocket science! I used to be a musician too who wrote his own music! I would have rather had people buy shit with my name on it as far as merchandise and tickets than rape them on the sale of my music! Sure I put work into writing those songs! But it's more important to me to have people come out to hear it live! I'll give the recordings away just to get people interested! Just my thoughts on that!